A few days ago, Holly blogged about the January Whole30 that the pretty people at Whole9 are putting on next month. I had been ignoring it for a wide variety of reasons, some of which include: It’s my birthday month, we’re going to Portland, my parents are coming to visit, etc. But when Holly wrote about it I finally decided to ignore my excuses instead and go for it. Today she noted that 100 people who read her blog are jumping in, too. So I’m not alone in feeling like a holiday failure I suppose. I’m actually kinda sorta looking forward to doing it with all these ladies (who I don’t know and am totally assuming are ladies).
Along with throwing out a little support for those of us who will be joining her, she wrote about her current state of health. I could mostly just steal hers, but she is right that level setting with yourself just why are you taking on this challenge is a smart thing to do. It’s not easy, I’ve done it before. It’s saying no to a lot of yummy food. It’s ordering really strangely at work lunches (or skipping out on them). It’s spending a lot of time in the kitchen. It’s coming up with weird excuses to not meet up with people for a drink. And great, I just thought of this: We’re newlyweds. How many annoying, coy winks am I going to get from people who think I’m pregnant? For the record, I’M NOT PREGNANT, MOM.
Anyway, here’s my current state of health and why I’m going to go to Portland for my birthday and not consuming Voodoo donuts or delicious Pinot Noir tastings:
- Photophobia: What happens when I hit that certain fat stage and am terrified of all pictures taken of me.
- Fat Face: The main cause of photophobia.
- Muffin Top: Umm, so today I found myself pulling my jeans above my muffin top while sitting at my desk.
- Shitty Sleep: It’s terrible and I’m not nice when I’m tired. I’m so tired lately.
- Laaaaaaazy: Side effect of shitty sleep. I’m not getting any exercise, which also makes me very short tempered.
- Spotty arms: Weird red bumps on my arms that go away when I eat better.
- Tummy Issues: Me and dairy are not a match made in heaven, but I’ve mentioned more than once my eggnog latte obsession this year. Seriously, right now I’m thinking about how amazing one will taste in the morning.
There’s probably more, but that’s enough to get me motivated to make some changes. I’m not starting the Whole30 early (please! I have our NYEE party and a good friends birthday to eat and drink my way through), but I am turning things around a bit. I joined Talia at her hot yoga studio tonight for a yoga sculpt class, I signed up for a January On-Ramp class at a new CrossFit box by our new house, and I made chili for dinner. It’s been a long time since I’ve cooked on a weeknight. And, I’m about to hit publish, go to bed, and try to get some decent sleep. Anyone else feeling like a giant, unmotivated blimp after December? There is hope!